What is a “Superfood?”
A superfood isn’t necessarily considered a food group and nutritionally speaking, there is no such thing. But, in the health world right now superfoods are really popular! ‘Superfood’ is a term for foods that have health benefits and are deemed to be nutrient dense. SO MUCH HEALTH!!! There are foods out there that are considered “super” I guess, but they will not cure you from diseases, make you healthier, or magically heal you. They will only act as an aid in your overall health.
I make sure that I have a balanced diet including superfoods, so I know I am getting good amounts of nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Here are the ‘superfoods’ that I LOVE are:
- Leafy greens: They are a great source of folate, zinc, calcium, iron, fiber, magnesium, and vitamin C. They reduce your risk of chronic illnesses, and contain high levels of anti-inflammatory compounds which protect against cancers.
- Berries: Berries include vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. They help in treating digestive and immune-related disorders.
- Legumes: They’re filled with nutrients and prevent and manage many diseases. They are a rich source of minerals, protein, fiber, and vitamin B.
- Green Tea: Have you ever heard that drinking green tea will help with weight loss and bloating? Green tea is rich in antioxidants and polyphenolic compounds which help with inflammatory issues. One of the antioxidants in green tea, EGCG, helps protect the body from chronic illnesses. The EGCG plus the caffeine aids in weight loss, too, in some people.
- Eggs: Eggs are a controversial topic in the nutrition industry because of their high cholesterol content, but others think eggs are fine. Eggs still remain one of the healthiest foods because of the protein, iron, various vitamins, and minerals. They also contain a few antioxidants that help protect your eye health.
- Nuts and Seeds: They are rich in fiber, protein, and heart-healthy fats. Although they are calorie dense, they are a great snack.
- Olive Oil: It is a natural oil derived from the fruit of olive trees. They are high in levels of monounsaturated fat. By adding olive oil to your diet, it may reduce the risk of certain illnesses and inflammation. I love cooking with olive oil, or simply pouring a tablespoon over my chicken or rice.
- Salmon: It is packed with healthy fats, protein, potassium, selenium, and vitamin B. It is one of the best sources omega-3 fatty acids which helps with inflammation. Eating salmon a few times a week is normally the recommendation!
- Avocado: It’s filled in many nutrients, including fiber, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. It is similar to olive oil because it is high in monounsaturated fats which help with inflammation.
- Garlic: All of my Italians are going to love this one. I am a HUGE garlic lover, it makes everything taste better and it’s just amazing okay?? But, garlic is a good source of magnesium, fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and selenium. It is said to support immune function, and reduce cholesterol and blood pressure.
There are tons of foods that are so healthy for you that I really suggest implementing in your diet! And – you can make it all really fun so it can be a well-balanced, fun, “diet!”
One thought on “Superfood So Good 4 U”