Life is a journey; it is exciting, nerve-wracking, exhilarating, sometimes upsetting and can be intense, it is growth, it is change, it is happiness and love. Life to one may have a different meaning than the next person, but what each of our lives has in common, is that it is a learning experience. Everything we do in life, every decision we make, every thought we have, and every step we take, brings us right where we are meant to be.
If there is one thing I could tell my younger self is that everything happens for a reason. It is something I firmly stand by and believe in because I look back at my past experiences and realize it was to only set me up for where I am at this point in my life.
I have a lot of life to live and a lot to experience still, but I have learned a lot in my twenty-two years of living. I think sharing what I have learned about life might open other peoples minds to new thoughts about life, because we all don’t live or think the same way. That’s what makes life interesting, though.
- Your gut is always right. Are you ever in a situation where you have an extremely unsettling feeling? Or you have a very strong feeling about something in the pit of your stomach whether it is good or bad? That is your intuition and it is trying to tell you something. Listen to it.
- At the end of the day, family is all that matters. People come and go, they will lie, cheat, turn their back on you, but the only people who will always be there for you no matter what is family.
- Not everyone has a heart like yours. I have a big heart, I feel very easily, and I am loyal, trustworthy, and I choose to wear my heart on my sleeve. I have learned others don’t have the same heart as me.
- Karma is real. You may not believe it, but burn someone and expect to be burned back.
- Don’t let the little things get to you. If it’s not gonna matter in 5 years, don’t stress 5 minutes over it.
- Overthinking kills. This is something I struggle with daily, but am working hard on changing. Overthinking is the worst thing one can do, it literally will create a million stupid scenarios of whatever it may be over and completely ruin things for you.
- It’s okay to not be okay. I am pretty strong minded and I feel like I need to hold it together every second of every day. But, it is okay to show your emotions because you need to be able to let go of whatever is upsetting you.
- It’s okay to take things slow. I am always so fast paced, always doing something, needing to get something done. But it’s okay to take a step back and relax for a little bit. Take things slow.
- You are who you surround yourself with. My dad always said “Show me who you hang around with and I’ll tell you what you are.” If you find yourself hanging around with bad influences, and even though you maybe aren’t totally following their footsteps, you are still just like them because you choose to hang around them. Choose fun, positive, uplifting people to surround yourself with.
- You can’t change people. No matter how hard you try, the only person that can change themselves, is them.
- If you aren’t happy single, you won’t be happy in a relationship. You must find happiness as a single individual; find happiness in yourself, in your life, and in the things that you do first before getting into a relationship.
- You cannot have your whole life planned out at 17. Life is unexpected, and random things can and will happen. I had my whole life planned out when I was 17 years old, 5 years later…not one thing went as I had planned, but that’s okay!
- Know when to walk away. You will know when it is time to walk away from something that is not meant for you. Do not waste another second of your time staying.
- Your worth is so important. Never give up yourself or your worth for someone who is not worth it. You may feel empowered by whatever source to stay with a person who is doing you no good; rise above that and remember what you are worth.
- You are the only person who can create your dream life. Don’t look at others to help you get to where you are meant to be. You choose to live your life however you want, make sure you are doing whatever is necessary to get to where you want to be.